Although the school year has come to a close we are excited to promote The Summer Reading Club to advocate for the importance of recreational reading across all ages, particularly during the summer months. WHY? There is a tendency for students to lose some of the academic achievement gains made during the school year as they disengage from participation in educational activities and academic routines during the summer. This loss of learning over the summer months is often referred to as the ‘Summer Slide.’ Research continues to demonstrate that access to books, involvement in fun recreational reading programs and extending connections to literature through arts and STEM activities has proven to combat the Summer Slide. The Summer Reading Club is now on and is a free challenge designed to help families combat the Summer Slide and to nurture a love of literature and recreational reading.
Please consider being involved with these three easy steps:
- Step 1. Register online with our Summer Reading Club platform, Beanstack
- Step 2. Get reading!
- Step 3. Complete challenges and daily reading logs. With each challenge, review or reading log completed you receive one entry into the prize pack of your choice. The more you read, the more entries you get!
What is Beanstack?
Beanstack is an online software and mobile app that will help Sunshine Coast Libraries facilitate the Summer Reading Club Program. Consider Beanstack a one-stop-shop for your child to not only sign up for the Summer Reading Club program but also help keep track of their reading, submit reviews and complete challenges. Best of all, it even helps students choose their next book.
Prize packs to be won (Bonus prizes are also up for grabs):
- Big book voucher – a voucher to your local bookstore and a bundle of awesome books.
- LEGO® prize pack – a stack of bricks and things to help you become a Master Builder.
- Creative prize pack – a jumbo creation pack filled with crafting goodies.
- Robot prize pack – a Sammy the first coding robot bundle.
- Adventure park prize – an escape to a world of outdoor adventure.
Summer Reading Club entries close Friday 31 January 2020 at 5pm. Winners will be announced on Monday 3 February 2020. Challenge activities and a bookmark to track reading can be downloaded from the Summer Reading Club website. Go to www.summerreadingclub.org.au for more details.
Happy reading and happy holidays!
Vanessa McKellar and Beryl Morris, Teacher Librarians