For Middle School students this is a bridging time between primary and mainstream secondary school. This is achieved with an intentional and strong pastoral care approach. A key person for Middle School students is their Pastoral Care teacher. The Pastoral Care Leader teaches at least one core subject line or two minor subject lines to have quality contact time with the students.
Teachers support the role of parents and do so by being aware of each student’s successes, failures and social relationships in relation to their natural abilities, gifts and level of maturity. A key role of the Pastoral Care teacher is to provide a setting where relationship and trust can be built. In this role the PC teacher will:
- Assess each student’s home situation in order to be informed of any changes affecting the student’s lives, which may impact on learning.
- Inform the Year level coordinator and student’s other teachers of any special needs which may eventuate
- Endeavour to keep the parent informed when a student is experiencing difficulty at school, discussing with them causes and possible solutions
- Check with parents of students who have unexplained absences and work with parents regarding attendance issues.
- Be the first point of contact regarding general class behaviour issues and strategies.
There are new challenges of discipline-based learning, which come with secondary schooling. It is a foundational time where students trial many skill based subjects and get to experience the smorgasbord of subjects on offer and to explore what they are good at or like. Some subjects they will enjoy and continue with whilst others they many never have to do again. It is a time of discovery and making choices for their future.
The Pastoral Care program includes a week camp for each year level and a ‘healthy relationships’ component as well as regular class devotions. The Program prioritises the modelling and education for the Christian habits of the heart, mind and body which will equip students to maintain and build their Christian values and witness.