We have been busy preparing the garden beds for next year. Organic-xtra, blood and bone and lucerne mulch have been added to beds and cow pea seeds sown as green manure which will be turned into the soil once it has grown.
This fortnight in Kitchen Garden classes were treated to a two-course feast! We made Potato pizza using our bumper potato harvest. Potatoes were sliced into rounds, lightly steamed then topped with homemade tomato sauce, bacon and cheese and grilled to perfection, YUM! Our second course was a delicious and healthy chocolate mousse with a twist. Our mousse is actually healthy, made using avocados instead of cream and egg whites. It is gluten and dairy-free.
Here is the recipe:
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seed removed
- 100 grams medjool dates, pitted
- 3 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs honey
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with warm water. Soak for 15 minutes then drain.
- Place the dates, avocado, cacao, honey, cinnamon and vanilla in a food processor and process until very smooth.
- Serve in small glasses topped with raspberries and blueberries.
Mandy Ward, Kitchen Garden Convenor