The former Cobb and Co lunch stop and staging post at the Glasshouse Mountains, Bankfoot House, will celebrate its 150th anniversary on Saturday 14 October this year.
Bankfoot House was established in 1868 by William and Mary Grigor. Named after Mary’s home village in Scotland, the House operated as a horse change station and lunch stop on the road between Brisbane and the Gympie goldfields. It was the first dwelling to be built in the area and also served as the post office and as an accommodation house for travellers, as well as being home to a large family.
Friends of Bankfoot House President Ron Gillinder said celebrations on 14 October will include Cobb and Co displays, a whip-cracking demonstration, lifesize replica bullocks, timber-getting exhibitions and guided tours of the old House.
There will also be photographs of the three generations of the same family who lived in the house for over 130 years – the Grigor, Burgess and Ferris families – on display. The last resident was Jack Ferris, who died in 2002 aged 101. Family descendants subsequently sold the House to the then Caloundra City Council and it has been the focus of much heritage and archival research and activity since then.
The volunteer members of the Friends of Bankfoot House are excited to be planning the sesquicentenary of Bankfoot House. Novelty competitions on 14 October will include best beard, best hat and best apron, and there’ll be traditional games from past eras such as skipping, marbles and quoits.
Situated at 1998 Old Gympie Road, Glasshouse Mountains.
The 150th celebrations are being organised jointly by the Friends of Bankfoot House and the Sunshine Coast Council.
For more information please email [email protected] or ring Ron Gillinder on 0407 760 989.